Automatic Builds

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 06:51:22 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM, David Bovill <david.bovill at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sarah - I've not done much more than experiment with revWeb yet, but now
> with the "do as JavaScript" feature, and a client that can use that, I'm
> looking to set up an agile deployment prototyping the eventual AJAX front
> end in revWeb. As the app will be deployed to the test site every 2 weeks to
> be tested by the client and every day by the development team, I'm looking
> to automate that.
>
> I understand the approach you describe for desktop apps - but you are saying
> you can use it for revWeb stacks as well - or not? That is a plain rev stack
> can be loaded dynamically with a "go to stack url ..." call and opened as a
> substack - just like with a desktop app? That would be great.. but.. how?
>
>  So you would:
>
>   1. build the main app as a splash / glxApp application and then
>   2. store the body of the app as plain stacks on the server to be loaded
>   by the revWeb app as needed?

Yes, at least that is what I would try. Sub-stacks cannot open in a
separate window, but I believe that they can open in the same window.
So you could have your splash screen stack (& main app) open, then it
could use: go to stack "Next" in this window
where "Next" is the stack that changes frequently.

Your updater just needs to upload a new version of the "Next" stack as required.

I haven't tested any of this, but I think it should work.

Cheers,
Sarah