Card Display Management

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 14:26:12 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> Recently, Peter Haworth wrote:
>
> > What I have in mind is a single "workspace" window for my application
> > with any cards being displayed within that workspace instead of in
> > separate windows.   Continuing the card metaphor, I guess you could
> > think of the workspace as a card table with the individual cards being
> > laid down on it.
>
> I Peter:
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve (I don't follow the
> forums very often).  If you want to show cards within a "workspace", you
> can
> set the dimensions of your stack to be larger than the area needed for
> content, and make a background (ie desktop or tabletop) that appears on all
> cards, on which your card content sits.  You will only be able to show one
> card at a time however.

I'm guessing that Peter wants to create a windows-style MDI application. For
example, if you open MS Word, while each Word document is in its own window,
those windows are self contained within the MS Word window.

My understanding with Rev is that you might be able to simulate this
behavior wish a whole lot of groups and custom code to simulate GUI windows,
but it would likely be fragile and not worth the effort (if this is what you
want).

A better option would be to do what Scott suggests: use a background group
with everything you want to stay the same between cards (like toolbars) and
have each card just display a different document. Downside: you won't be
able to see see multiple documents at the same time.

Jeff M.