Card Display Management

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Mar 22 14:05:23 EDT 2010

Recently, Peter Haworth wrote:

> What I have in mind is a single "workspace" window for my application
> with any cards being displayed within that workspace instead of in
> separate windows.   Continuing the card metaphor, I guess you could
> think of the workspace as a card table with the individual cards being
> laid down on it.

I Peter:

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve (I don't follow the
forums very often).  If you want to show cards within a "workspace", you can
set the dimensions of your stack to be larger than the area needed for
content, and make a background (ie desktop or tabletop) that appears on all
cards, on which your card content sits.  You will only be able to show one
card at a time however.

If you're looking to show multiple "cards" at once, this is not possible
using runRev's card structure.  You'd have to place your card content into
separate groups -- then you could hide/show groups at will.  If you have a
lot of "card groups" however, this can become unwieldy.

A third option could be to place your content into palette stacks, that
overlay a topstack.  This way you can have multiple cards within multiple
windows, all sitting on top of a separate background stack, and because the
cards are in palettes, they will never fall behind the background stack.
You could also give the palette stack custom drag routines so they can't be
dragged beyond the rect defined by the background stack.

If none of these options fits what you're trying to do, you may need to
explain more of what you're trying to accomplish.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design