Possible virus warning

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 03:35:01 EDT 2010

I think this all runs full circle to some comments I made on another
thread about DMGs for Mac distribution.

We find ourselves talking about alien conspiracies only because we
know what is normal on this List. A newbie could have easily opened
the email and it's attachment, as they'd open any other email and
attachment. Why can't you post attachments to the List, all other
emails can have attachments, it would be so handy - but that's not
important, the List standard is no attachments.

In truth, Zeeshan Aamir may simply have tried to be helpful by posting
his stack to individuals and thereby overcome the List limitation.

DMGs (and the Mac Installer) are the standard way Macs distribute
software. Yes you could try some other methods, and that might be
easier for newbies, but those in the know will be thinking, not
normal, therefore alien conspiracy;-)

This unsolicited attachment could be benign or malicious, so it
highlights the importance of standards, even if their not the best or
the most convenient, and by consistently following standards people
will eventually learn what is normal, and what isn't, and that's a
good thing.

A better Mac installer might simply be better documentation of the
standard process. A READ ME, which I accept no-one reads, with
step-by-step instructions plus images of your .dmg file, and then the
disk itself, and then the drag process, can't be too hard to create,
and hopefully not too difficult to follow along.

Another Mac $ worth ;-)