how to set the textStyle of word 1 of the selection?

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 13:13:03 EDT 2010

Not sure if this got through the first time, if so, sorry for any
duplication...

On Mar 16, 2010, at 6:40 AM, BNig wrote:

> André,
> I would test Peters solution a little more. If you start your
> selection with
> a space the word before the space will be the one that is targeted
> for your
> textstyle. The same with return and tab.
> regards
> Bernd

True. I was assuming that the beginning of the selection would be a
character and not white space. Here's a function that tells you if the
character in a field is white space or not:

function isWhiteSpace charNbr,fldRef
    put value(fldRef) into fldText
    put the number of words of char 1 to charNbr of fldText \
           into firstPartCount
    put the number of words of char charNbr to -1 of fldText \
           into secondPartCount
    return firstPartCount + secondPartCount = \
           the number of words of fldText
end isWhiteSpace

So incorporating that into the handler would give:

on mouseup
   put the selectedchunk into selCh
   if the selectedtext = empty then exit mouseup
   put the long id of the selectedfield into fldRef
   put value(fldRef) into fldText
   put word 2 of selCh into startChar
   put the number of words of char 1 to startChar \
          of fldText into wordNbr
   if isWhiteSpace(startChar,fldRef) then add 1 to wordNbr
   set the textstyle of word wordNbr of \
          fldRef to "link"
end mouseup

On a different note, I'm confused about the behavior of full control
references, eg, fldRef in the above example, which contains a long id
of a field. The last line of the mouseup handler works, because the
engine evaluates the variable fldRef before executing the command, but
if instead of "set the textstyle of word wordNbr of fldRef" you do this:
   put word wordNbr of fldRef
you get the corresponding word of "field id 3521 of card id 1009 of
stack..." -- ie, the unevaluated string contained in the variable
fldRef -- and not the word in the field referred to.

So under what circumstances does Rev evaluate a full control
reference? It's clearly not in all contexts.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig