Saving files to database

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Mar 15 17:35:25 EDT 2010

Seems like a base64 encode and then save to a blob column would do it. But I don't have any experience at it. You will probably need another column for the original file name so you could restore it "as is".

So the pseudocode would look like:
get the file name via answer file dialog
bail out if user cancels
open file read/write (in case someone else has it open and is updating it)
if successful read into variable
base64 encode data
write to mySQL blob column
write filename to char(50) column

This will work for files that are easily contained in memory. If you have to deal with large files, that becomes problematic I would think. You would have to read the data in limited blocks, save each block to a separate SQL record, then use an SQL statement to combine all the records into one final record before deleting the temp copies. At least that is how I would attempt to do it.

Bob