Keyboard Menu Control Blocked?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Mar 12 21:12:56 EST 2010

Recently, Jacque Landman Gay wrote:

> You can indicate the keyboard shortcuts by adding
> symbols to the button contents on each line that requires one. As of 4.0
> you can find the updated syntax in the engine change log that lets you
> add keyboard shortcuts comprised of more than one modifier key. If you
> only need one modifer per menu item, you can just use the old way: put a
> slash and a letter after the menu item. For example, if you want the
> Copy item to use Cmd-C, its line in the button contents would be:
>
>    Copy/C
>
> Adding an ampersand after one of the letters will cause it to draw with
> an underline on Windows menus, so Copy would look like this if you want
> both the old-style underline and the command key shortcut:
>
>    C&opy/C
>
> The menu builder can add accelerators and modifiers via its interface
> checkboxes. If you do that and then look at the button contents, it's
> easy to see how it works.

Thanks, I have all this, but the menus aren't triggering, that's what's so
frustrating.  In the test stack, the menus trigger from the keyboard
shortcuts as expected.  In my working stack, the menubuttons refuse to
trigger.

Here's another symptom...  When the test stack is suspended (my working
stack is the top stack) the keyboard shortcuts continue to trigger the menus
in the test stack.

My working stack has a custom windowShape -- could that be an issue?  It
hasn't been up until my messing around with the menu buttons, but this test
with menus firing in the suspended stack makes me suspicious.

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design