Windows Portable???

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Mon Mar 8 18:08:33 EST 2010

No they are not the same.

Here is a link for Windows Portable.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd388998(VS.85).aspx

U3 is a standard that is Windows only and is designed to provide a better application launch experience for applications on USB drives.

It works by presenting the USB drive as both a USB drive and CD. The "CD" does the auto-start and launches a catalog interface where the applications have been loaded. One of the big problems for non-Windows computers in that there are two drives that have to be ejected when finished.

There was some talk of a U4 standard which would include other platforms but I haven't heard anything about that in some time. Even for Windows, U3 has not taken off and it diminishing in popularity.

I chose not to support U3 with InfoWallet (where it would appear to be a perfect fit) because of the problems with Macs and Linux. It looks like the rest of the industry is losing interest as well.

Bill Vlahos
InfoWallet (http://www.infowallet.com) is about keeping your important life information with you, accessible, and secure.