Comma-delimited values

wayne durden wdurden at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 15:41:08 EST 2010

Hi David, Richard et al.

I hear your pain on the CSV issue.  However, wishing it would die I think
deserves a more careful reflection.  Sometimes the devil you know is worse
than the alternative...

I use RunRev almost exclusively for parsing and processing datasets for
active traders.  CSV is one of the few remaining source formats that can be
easily resolved.  I use the flag method to handle quotes in the dataset...

The other alternatives my clients can provide are far more problematic ([XML
parsing - in theory good, in practice on large datasets there is almost
always some breakage in the dataset or the time to handle a large dataset is
exponentially greater than plain CSV ] [Excel - now virtually impossible to
deal with without a manual intervention and conversion])

So yes, CSV has it's problems.  Pipe delimited would suit me better.  But a
simple line based ordered dataset has proven in practice to be much more
usable and quicker to handle than fancier solutions...

Don't wish a CSV death on me please :)

Wayne