Application graphics

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:22:41 EST 2010

On 08/03/2010 20:14, Marcio Alexandroni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well, I've been working for so many years only on Windows development that I
> think I must relearn application design now that I'm "multiplatform"...
>
> What kind of graphics do you use for your applications? I mean, I know Rev
> is plenty of graphical objects, but in a real multiplatform
> user-application, do you use backgrounds, skinning, graphic buttons, perhaps
> a group of buttons to simulate a toolbar?
>
> Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Dear Marcio,
   I think you may be over-complicating things.

I am the author of a user-application that is available for Windows and
Macintosh:

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/dwriter.html

and I use graphics (images made in GIMP) as buttons throughout; this way
I can
be sure they look the same on either operating system.

If you want to have your buttons looking different after they have been
used, or
when a pointer is over them, the images can be easily manipulated using
the Graphic
Effects available through the Preferences palette.