Thousands of cards (Was RE: very strange rev behavior)

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Fri Mar 5 14:08:56 EST 2010

Hi Richard,

> But HC made it very convenient to store data on cards, and
> out of the box provided no way to work with any database at
> all (SQLite hadn't even been invented yet).
>
> Bill Atkinson said more than once that "HyperCard is not a
> database", but the convenience of using it as one encouraged
> people to do so.

The sample stacks with HC sort of encouraged this though - you had a pretty
usable PIM there as I recall. But along with what you say about SQLite, back
then I don't think it was completely conceivable that one would have
thousands of contacts in a "personal file".

> I believe there are so many benefits in separating code, UI,
> and content that it's well worth the effort, and the clients
> for whom I've ported large HC stacks have been pleased with
> the results Rev offers.

It sure would be nice if someone wrote an updated Runrev: Best Practices
book, or many somebodies wrote chapters of one.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Proactive International, LLC