AW: OT: locking software to one specific machine?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 4 14:38:10 EST 2010

Jeff Massung wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Richard Gaskin
> <ambassador at fourthworld.com>wrote:
>
> [... snip ...]
>

>> Then write the inverse of the generator to validate your codes, but break
>> up the validation into multiple handlers each doing a small part of it,
>> using obscure function names strewn all over your code base with lots of
>> red-herring handlers with similar names littered among them. Extra bonus
>> points if the handlers you call also call others; the more the merrier.
>>  Anyone tracing your code in a low-level debugger will find it far more
>> annoying than it's worth.

> 2. Don't follow the "Extra bonus points" recommendation. This is a *bad
> idea*. You want these functions that check reg codes to be extremely small
> and obfuscated.

I agree with everything else you wrote, and it seems very reflective of
much of the Delphi Anti-Cracking FAQ, but on this I'm confused:

It seems like we're saying the same thing about obfuscation. Or maybe I
just wrote poorly.

Having obscure, small handlers in your validation scheme calling other
obscure, small handlers, some of which are are red-herrings, seems to
only further obfuscate the code, no?

At least, that was what I had intended to suggest. I think we're in
agreement here, unless I misunderstand something.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World