AW: AW: OT: locking software to one specific machine?

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Thu Mar 4 13:03:32 EST 2010

Le 4 mars 2010 à 18:37, Tiemo Hollmann TB a écrit :

> I did not mentioned that we had also some steps in between.
>
> But many of the per-user licenses can be passed on.
> I don't know how Adobe or Microsoft prevent people of passing their user
> license to other people.
>
> Tiemo

Adobe requires an internet connection to register. I have bought a student CS3 design edition for my second son, and at some time, because that son was addicted to peer to peer download, I put him on a non admin account. This implied that the CS3 user account was bound to be changed. I emailed the support at Adobe to ask if switching accounts required de-installation and re-installation Tthe support (where my son has an account as a registered user) replied there should be no problem. Actually, everything turned out fine. And I am convinced that, if there would have be a problem, it would have been solved gracefully by Adobe's support.

Then we upgraded our son's iMac to an new, intel, model, and used Apple's migration assistant (with the original mac in target mode) to transfer the accounts' data, and whoppee, CS3 was installed on the new computer without any further work. (this should answer stephen's post on CS3, at least on the mac).

As for theP2P music, I made a deal with my son: if he wants music, he tells me and I offer him an Itunes gift card. It turns out that he is very happy with his legal purchases, and they are quite reasonable as far as expenses are considered. Most of the P2P stuff he could do without, actually.

The really difficult part in fixing a price is the evaluation of the ROI of the customers. Including support.

cheers
	François