OT: locking software to one specific machine?

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Thu Mar 4 10:37:38 EST 2010

Le 4 mars 2010 à 15:25, Mark Schonewille a écrit :

> Hi Peter,
>
> I use a MAC address for this, sometimes a drive serial number or computer serial number. This can only work if the configuration of the computer isn't going to change. In one project, I take the MAC address and check the license plus MAC address in a database. In another project, I use the IP address to confine a license to a particular organisation. It is also possible to hardcode information in the software, if this is a unique project for one single customer.
>
> The problem with these approaches is often that they take lots of support hours and cause your customers a lot of frustrations. You might want to think again before implementing such a system.
>
> It isn't OT, once you start implementing it with RunRev :-) It is doable.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>
> Economy-x-Talk is always looking for new software development projects. Feel free to contact me for a quote.

My first macbook pro had its NVIDIA chipset broken. The MBP wouldn't boot. The motherboard was replace and voila, I had lost the license on some of my software because it was tied to the MAC address (and I could not uninstall the software on the now defunct motherboard). Moreover, I upgraded afterwards to a new MBP, and the transition was painful for the same software.

Tying software to a specific hardware configuration is BAD marketing practice. The customer is your friend, not your enemy. S/N tied to a name or e-mail are quite common in software registration and they do not penalize the customer.

Think of piracy as a form of advertisement. IMHO, when a user of a pirated copy (S/N here) finds your software useful, and if if the price is right for him, he will buy the regular version to have the upgrades, customer support, etc.... If this is not the case, he may not ever have bought your software anyway.

Best,
	François