Sticky popup?

dfepstein at comcast.net dfepstein at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 10:22:26 EST 2010

Scott Rossi asked "Is there any way to make the action of popping up a menu "sticky"?"

To imitate a "sticky popup" I show a stack (named here "L9nav") with empty decorations, whose buttons trigger the desired actions and cause the stack to close.  And I include in the stack an invisible graphic named "auto" whose script, when in use, causes the stack to close when there's a click somewhere outside the stack.

On mousedown:

insert script of graphic "auto" of stack "L9nav" into front

go stack "L9nav" as palette

Graphic "auto" has this script:

on focusIn

get the short name of this stack

if it is not "L9nav" then close stack "L9nav"

pass focusIn

end focusIn

on openField

get the short name of this stack

if it is not "L9nav" then close stack "L9nav"

pass openField

end openField

And "L9nav" itself has this script:

on closeStack

if there is not a graphic "auto" then exit closeStack

get the long name of graphic "auto"

remove script of it from front

end closeStack

David Epstein