Docking Stacks

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Mar 2 13:56:35 EST 2010

> I searched around and haven't really found anything about interactions
> between multiple stacks similar to docking.

Speaking as someone who has tried to build docking stacks in the past, there
is almost always a bit of lag between dragging one stack and having the rest
follow, especially on slower systems.  There is also the issue of stack
layering (one stack moving above or behind the other) -- this is more
forgiving when stacks have no shadows (Windows).  And you'll need to make
sure that the docked stacks are "aware" of who is docked to who and who
should be moved when any docked stack is dragged.

Shao Sean has an external that is said to allow group dragging of stacks,
but last I heard this is only for Mac.

The most surefire way to make stacks dock is probably to copy the contents
of a docked stack to the main stack when stacks are docked, so in reality
there is only one stack present.  But obviously it takes a lot of planning
up front to make sure the contents of all your dockable stacks can be easily
copied from stack to another.

There is one of those cases where a "view" object (stack within a stack)
would be immensely useful.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director