fonts: what is a "point" in Linux/Gnome?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Mar 1 11:22:51 EST 2010

Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> But as to the fonts, I fired up Rev, created a stack with a field in it,
> then put the font size to 12, and opened up OpenOffice and did the same
> thing.  Its true.  Rev looks like its about 6 point, and OO looks normal 12
> point.  After you find one of the few fonts they will both display!
>
> So which is wrong?

I have some old info from a 4-year-old tech support ticket, but it
worked back then and it may still work now. Since I know little about
any of this, I'll just add the info as it was passed to me:

Rev needs X11 fonts. It only works with those. Tiny fonts are caused by
the font server in use. A customer who had the same issue wrote: "It was
my font server, xfs. Somewhere in a recent reconfiguration to support
xfstt, I pooched it. I reinstalled/reconfigured xfs, and it's all ducky."

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com