Getting ALL screen resolutions from 1 screen

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 16:47:27 EDT 2010

On 06/29/2010 11:12 PM, Ken Ray wrote:
> Mark,
>
> You can do this with VBScript - here's a script that gets all possible video
> controller resolutions:
>
> ' List All Possible Video Controller Resolutions
>

> On Error Resume Next
>
> strComputer = "."
> Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
>      &  "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\"&  strComputer&  "\root\cimv2")
>
> Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
>      ("Select * from CIM_VideoControllerResolution")
>
> For Each objItem in colItems
>      Wscript.Echo "Horizontal Resolution: "&  objItem.HorizontalResolution
>      Wscript.Echo "Number Of Colors: "&  objItem.NumberOfColors
>      Wscript.Echo "Refresh Rate: "&  objItem.RefreshRate
>      Wscript.Echo "Scan Mode: "&  objItem.ScanMode
>      Wscript.Echo "Setting ID: "&  objItem.SettingID
>      Wscript.Echo "Vertical Resolution: "&  objItem.VerticalResolution
>      Wscript.Echo
> Next
>

> Have fun!

I'd like to "have fun" on a cross-platform basis; and I'm sure
quite a few others would like to as well.

The most 'fun' would be had were this capability [to detect all possible
screen resolutions an end-user's monitor supports] and the ability to
change end--users' screen resolutions native to RunRev.

As my children seem to play endless games on Mac and Linux that do
reset the screen resolution (and put it back to its original one once the
games quits) I cannot belive it is unduly difficult.

Last time I raised this issue all sorts of people got "hot under the collar"
and said that it "wasn't cricket to muck around with end-users' screen
resolutions"; funny really when games do it all the time! Mind you, I have
yet to see a game of virtual cricket on a computer . . .  :)