snapshot and background problems

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Jun 28 12:56:04 EDT 2010

Recently, Michael D Mays wrote:

> Thanks Scott. I don't know what is going on. I  tried this before and I didn't
> get anything but trash. This morning when I ran the handler the image became
> grey. I had been saying 'set the imagedata ...' instead of '...text...'. I
> tried text and the same nothing changed. So I deleted and dragged a new  image
> into the background ( for the nth time) and ran the handler again and it
> worked!??

Your image may have been messed up -- I've seen this happen where repeatedly
setting image data of an image causes it to stop responding.

Setting imageData by itself is OK, but over the last few years, I've taken
to setting the text of an image (ironic) to any picture-related data,
because doing so sets both image/alpha properties at the same time. This is
important to maintain transparency when it comes to PNG images.  Setting
image/alphaData properties in 2 separate steps is klunky.

I have no data to suggest that setting the text of an image is any better or
worse than the method of putting image-related data into an image.  I've
only seen references by the programming dudes at RunRev to use the text
property, so I do.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director