Line Numbers in Text Editor

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 26 12:23:35 EDT 2010

Justin Sloan wrote:
 > I am planning to implement line numbers in a proprietary text editor
 > that I wrote for in-house use.  Problem is, I don't know how I am
 > going to implement it. I thought about using a parallel text field,
 > but there has to be an easier way.  Any of you genius devs have any
 > ideas?

I forked the MC IDE's script editor many years ago to add, among other
things, line numbers.  It was at the time the only script editor for Rev
which had line numbers, and having implemented this "advanced
technology" <g> I can share with you a couple tips I learned:

The line numbers are displayed in a separate field to the left of the
editor field, kept in synch with scrollbardrag handlers in each.  Being
a script editor I also have another field in between them for marking
breakpoints, but you probably won't need that for other types of editing.

I chose a separate field for the line numbers because it seemed a more
with-the-grain approach than attempting to put anything in the editor
field except for the script itself.  In Rev, a script is just a block of
text, so my mandate for my editor was to maintain as close a
relationship as possible between what you see and what the engine
expects.  So the script is dumped into a field, with no caches or other
intermediaries to complicate the scripter's relationship with the
engine. WYGIWE - what you got is what exists. ;)  I have a McCabe algo
for Rev (see note on RevCloud below) so I'm sensitive to the impact of
complexity in a code base.

At first I went the route most other text editors use, in which the line
number field is populated dynamically to show only the lines present in
the editor field.  But I found that when I got beyond a few thousand
lines the time it takes the engine to render the line number field
became a performance drag on my typing.  So I went with having
pre-populated numbers, which isn't so bad since you can still see how
many lines you have in your script by just scrolling to the end and look
at the last line number across from the last line of script.

But even pre-populating the line number field was not without some
challenge, since putting in 10,000 lines of numbers would not be
sufficient for some scripts, and added a lot of bulk to the editor stack
file.

So the final solution I went with was leaving the field blank when the
stack is saved, and populating it on preOpenStack with the number of
lines of the script + 5000.  Since this is a one-time performance hit
when the stack opens, the impact on performance isn't nearly as
noticeable as it was when I was appending that list with each carriage
return (has anyone younger than 40 even seen an actual typewriter
carriage? Odd nomenclature in the 21st century, but I digress).

This keeps the stack file small enough to be extremely portable (I'm
migrating a lot of tools to cloud storage - look for RevCloud coming
soon to RevNet this summer; think devolution on serious steroids and
focused on collaborative workflows), and it's unlikely that a person
will type more than 5000 lines during a given session with the editor open.

But what if they paste more than 5k lines?  I've trapped for that in the
Paste item and add another block of lines numbers beyond the number
already in the field + the number in the clipboard, so we stay a few
thousand lines ahead of the scripter.

HTH -

--
  Richard Gaskin