Line Numbers in Text Editor

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Jun 25 19:37:18 EDT 2010

The straightforward answer is using formattedText ..... but the deeper
question is what line numbering you want for the lines when there is
line-wrapping happening. For instance, if it is something like a source
code editor, then the line numbers (IMHO) should be independent of the
size of window currenty in use.

For example,  if I have the following text

  1   My first line
  2 this is a very long line of text that is going to be wrapped in a
moment when I make the window narrow.
  3 third line.

Then when the window becomes narrow, do I *want*

  1   My first line
  2  this is a very long line of text that is going to be wrapped
  3  in a moment when I make the window narrow.
  4  third line.

or do I want something like

  1   My first line
  2   this is a very long line of text that is going to be wrapped
  2a  in a moment when I make the window narrow.
  3   third line.

It really depends on whether you are numbering the lines of the window
or the lines of the underlying text (or source code, or whatever); quite
often, I suspect, it should be the latter. And in that case I don't know
of any quick or easy way to figure out how the numbering should be done :-(

-- Alex.