Big Flat Stacks - NULLs

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jun 16 22:21:44 EDT 2010

Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I vaguely recall that HC was not supposed to have nulls, but some bug
> or other caused them and wrecked havoc with HC stacks. Compacting the
> stack seemed to eliminate them.

HC used nulls as end-of-field markers, so if text containing nulls was
pasted into an HC field, the text would truncate at the first null. I
once had to debug a stack like that, where someone had pasted some text
from AppleWorks into the stack. It wasn't a bug, just a result of pasting.

Rev handles nulls in fields fine. But during a normal Rev import, the
Rev engine knows that nulls were end-of-field markers in HC and so
probably truncates the incoming text at that point too, just as HC did.

I'm not sure why Paul would need to replace incoming nulls with empty
though, since the Rev engine shouldn't bring any of them in when it
opens a HC stack.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com