Scanning barcodes

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 19:50:44 EDT 2010

> I wonder if anyone has got recommendations for a barcode scanner device that works with rev.
> Ideally it would read both traditional barcodes and those newer 2d codes and work with Win PCs and Macs (Linux a plus).
> Is anyone doing this already and can recommend a device and maybe some test code to peek at?

I haven't done 2D barcodes, but traditional ones are easy. Just make
sure the scanner can operate in keyboard-wedge mode and it will act
like a keyboard. You will need to test it to see what terminating
character it sends and then check for that and when it arrives,
operate on the complete code.

I have a barcode reader test stack on my web site
<http://www.troz.net/rev/stacks/BarcodeTester.rev>.
as well as a stack to generate Code 128 barcodes
<http://www.troz.net/rev/stacks/Barcodes.rev>, which needs a Code128
font to display them correctly.

--
Cheers,