RevSudio on sale for $50

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 3 10:30:12 EDT 2010

Graham & Heather Harrison wrote:

 > All of this will probably not worry all the old hands one little bit.
 > But as a new user who paid the full $250 just over two months ago, I
 > am feeling a little PO'd.

Special promotional pricing is always problematic for that reason, with
any product.

That's why I tend to run promotions very seldom, and very carefully.
And unlike a lot of vendors, I don't have a "Coupon Code" field on my
purchase page, because all that tells the customer is that someone out
there is getting a better price.  Far better to just invest five
minutes' time to make a separate page for a promotional purchase, but it
seems few vendors bother to do that.

A lot of the promotions I run are private offerings through channel
partners to their customers via email or private web pages accessible
only for their members.  This allows us to offer our partners' customers
really great prices without feeling resentful about not getting the same
discount.

But we also use MacZot at least annually, where they run absolutely
killer specials where you can get apps for about half-off for 24 hours.

When we run those we make far less from each sale than we do at our own
store, but the boost to the installed base makes it worthwhile.

Fortunately, it's been rare that our public promotions have resulted in
disappointment for our customers who paid full price.  On the one hand,
this is no different from paying full price at a grocery store while the
person in front of you has a half-off coupon, or being able to save
thousands on a car purchase because you negotiate better than another
customer.

But even though this is a common occurrence across nearly all products
in all industries, when a customer complains about pricing I'm inclined
to try to find some way to make them feel better about their investment
in our products.

If you feel strongly about this it may not be a bad idea to voice your
dissatisfaction with the vendor.  The worst that can happen is that
you'll still have paid no more for the product than the normal price, so
it may be worth a minute to see what happens.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World