The State of Rev (Was Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video)

Thomas McGrath III mcgrath3 at mac.com
Tue Jun 1 09:38:18 EDT 2010

I agree with both Andre and Richards responses to these issues brought up in this excellent thread. One of the things Peter brought up was about the idea of having to buy a 3d party add on to get expected functionality out of the Rev IDE. Andre and Richards responses were right on/spot on about this. But, Peter mentioned the editor as one of these and I agree with him that the internal editor is too flaky (thanks Andre) and as a result of too many crashes related to the built-in editor have had to buy tRev/switch to tRev in order to get some of my latest projects out the door.

I would rather have 'chosen' to use tRev because of its great features (of which it has many, many great features), than having 'had' to use it because the internal editor just doesn't work well enough for professional development. I think Peter's inclusion of the Editor points to a real problem and to the impressions that he points out.

I think this impression is accurate only in the case of the built-in editor which, I hope, will be fixed in the next release. The other Rev-Select Add-ons fall into the 'really great enhancements to RunRev' category and do not necessarily fall into the 'need to make up for something that should work but doesn't ' in RunRev category.

I think the more important thing to learn here is what some of the current impressions of RR are and why. How RR is perceived (especially by new comers to the world of RR) should help point us/RR to the areas that need the most improvement.

Great thread,

Tom McGrath III
Lazy River Software
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com
3mcgrath at comcast.net

I Can Speak - Communication for the rest of us...
http://mypad.lazyriver.on-rev.com

I Can Speak on the iPad Store
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/i-can-speak/id364733279?mt=8