[RevServer + Rev on Linux] Checking if you have the needed libraries

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 02:36:46 EDT 2010

I'm not knocking it, this is indeed absolutely the right way to track down
and fix dependencies.  But it would be a mistake to think this is the source
or the main source of the Rev on Linux problems.  You can pass the test,
have all the dependencies, which I always have had, and you will still have
the problems.   Yes, by all means give the info to people who have Linux
issues and don't know about ldd.  But with the caveat that if you are using
any modern mainstream distro, missing dependencies are not likely to be the
source of the problems.

If, and I think its a big if, if there were definite problems that have been
reported that can be tied to particular libraries being missing, that would
great, it would lead to instant solutions.  But I don't know of any.  Maybe
others do?