Heading down the home stretch

David C. davidocoker at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:06:48 EDT 2010

Hey folks,
After a lot of work over the last few months, my new app is feature
complete, seemingly stable and with most of the documentation done, so
I'm ready to begin the the final process of getting it packaged up for
sale and distribution. Although I've built quite a few much smaller
apps with RunRev (for myself and others), this one will be my first
attempt at testing the commercial/shareware waters with a Rev based
application and I hope to get the rest of it correct the first time
around. (I've never released anything requiring an installer since the
new changes with Vista/Win 7)

As a point of reference for the questions I have below, my app will be
using Jacqueline's Zygodact product for registration and security
purposes and targeting Windows only for the initial release. The
undecided part is whether I add a splash screen executable pointing at
the main stack file or to just make the main stack executable along
with using the Zygodact preference file for storage. (Is one way
better than the other, if it matters?)

I hope to use field(s) and/or custom properties in the Zygodact
preference file to determine whether the application runs in demo or
fully registered mode, as well as to store the user name and email
address. (To be read and displayed prominently in the "about box",
just to help keep the honest folks honest in regard to app sharing.)

Question 1:
On Windows, what is a sure fire, "will work" folder/filepath location
(specialFolderPath) where I can place the preference file/stack that
Zygodact needs to use for basic registration security and/or storing
user data, regardless of user permission settings?

Question 2:
Should I have the installer create the target folder for the
preference stack and copy the file accordingly or is it better/easier
to cobble together a routine directly in my application to handle
that?

Question 3:
Do separate sub-stacks need to have the .rev extension or can they be
named using something else? MyStack.rev >> MyStack.blah

Question 4:
Should I be concerned about encrypting any sub-stacks, should I choose
to separate them?

That's about it in a nutshell. I've read just about everything I can
find here on the list as well in the documentation on these subjects,
but I'm still not convinced that I understand it all well enough. I
just need some solid advice from those that have already "been there,
done that" so I can get this puppy finished up and out there.

Best regards,
David C.