[OT-Rodeo] Still waiting for the aha moment

wayne durden wdurden at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 16:03:59 EDT 2010

I would like to chime in with a question as well.  I am not sure I really am
seeing what might be happening in the marketplace.  I understand the concept
of creating a web app for hire for a third party that wants a "presence" on
iPads, where the app might be free for exposure, etc.   But are "web apps"
being successfully sold directly by the developers to end consumers?  In
other words, are there many examples of selling "web apps" versus "first
class full x-code apps" that are selling for .99 to 4.99?  The part I
haven't quite grasped is that the concept of web apps seem like partitioning
off little web pages into a pseudo-standalone, and I am wondering if
customers are accepting this in decent numbers as something they are willing
to pay for?

For instance, can a javascript game that runs in Safari be packaged up as a
web app with an icon and sold through iTunes for .99 let's say....?

I will be "googling" to find examples after a bit, but if anyone has some
pointers to these I would appreciate it.  I think this might be a situation
where once again, the whole game may have changed while I was busy not
noticing.  And if it is as easy as packaging a javascript game up with an
icon and the webkit browser call, if there isn't a deluge already, there
probably will be...

Wayne