Playing a movie in Linux

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 18 05:24:19 EDT 2010

Richmond, presumably you used the command to set which the movie player is?
You did

     set videoClipPlayer

and gave the full path of the executable?  I've never done this, but it
sounds like it ought to work.  Yes, the instructions in the dictionary on
what is the default do seem a little out of time.

Maybe the answer is, go out to shell and do the command in the shell.

If you do call it from a shell script, you will not have to give the
absolute path, just the command with the appropriate command line parameters
should do.

On what the default player is, it will likely depend on the DTE as well as
the distro.  With Gnome, it will be mplayer.  With a KDE install, it will be
the KDE player.  A bit like, if you are using Evolution for email, it will
open the Gnome browser unless you set the properties and tell it different.
If you are using kmail, even on a basically Gnome system, it will open links
in Konqueror.

We don't often do video, but the other day someone filmed a clip, copied it
from camera to desktop, and it  it simply played as soon as we opened it
without any further intervention.  So if you do use the shell, it should
work fine.