Playing a movie in Linux

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 11:40:11 EDT 2010

Whether this posting consists of "more on the topic" or "moron the topic"
has yet to be seen . . .

On 07/17/2010 11:41 AM, Richmond wrote:
> <snip>
>
> 1. As one has to leverage mplayer embedded movies are 'off'.
>
>   Consequences of this:
>
>   1.1. The poor old end-user will have to 'fart around' (it has always
> amazed me how
>          British slang phrases are generally "more robust" than
> American ones) with
>          file pathways and so forth; unless, of course, somebody can
> work out how
>          to manage relative pathways on Linux . . .

Tried playing an embedded movie with Xfmedia:

on mouseUp
    set the videoClipPlayer to "/usr/bin/xfmedia"
    play videoClip "OINK.mov"
end mouseUp

[ Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V from the keyboard pasted into Mozilla
Thunderbird ]

The videoClip started playing (admittedly only the music because I don't
have the codex / codecs installed)
and then the whole of RunRev 4.0 crashed. Whether the carsh happended
DURING the time the videoClip was
playing or subsequently I really couldn't say.