RunRev Script Editor and Linux

Pierre Sahores psahores at free.fr
Wed Jul 14 13:32:31 EDT 2010

Dear Friends,

Alike some others list fellows, i spended hundreds of hours to develop for and thousands of hours to run mc and rev apps under the Linux platform and here are my two cents about this :

- Linux is suited to be one of the best server's platform (alike xBSD and Solaris, ...)
- Linux is not well suited to be a real desktop platform (alike, OSX or Windows, ...)

All the Rev stuff i target to the linux platform are only related to server's solutions : Rich Internet Application's Servers or Web Application's Servers. In beetwin 1997 and 2003, all my xTalks based servers apps went build and running as xinetd services on top ofApache + PHP + MC. In beetwin 2004 and 2009, i just changed this in replacing MC by Rev. From may 2009 to yet, all my new xtalk's based server's apps have been build on top of the on-rev platform.

Conclusion 1 : All those apps went always 100% rock-solid and suiting all my clients and end-users needs. Soo, the Rev engine is 100% suited to run as expected on the Linux platform.

All the solutions i ever developped for the Linux platform went coded under the MacOSX platform because the Rev IDE for Linux is always less polished than the OSX or Windows are.

If i had to devlop a Rev desktop app to target the Linux platform (it's realy not the case...), i'm not sure that i would not have to spend 4/5 of my dev time in tunning my standalones to feet each main linux distro + KDE / each main linux distro + Gnome, etc... to get the expected results for each linux targeted platform.

Conclusion 2 : Rev is probably not, at least for yet, the best dev platform to target the Linux Desktop's apps market....

If i had to do such work indeed, i would choose to combine an HTML5/CSS framework (alike fluid 960 grid system) for the GUI part of the app and Rev to handle all the app logic running behind the scene.

Best Regards,

Pierre