[ANN] Translating your Rev stacks into web apps

Jerry Daniels jerry.daniels at me.com
Mon Jul 12 00:38:02 EDT 2010

Fellow Rev developers,

If you're like me, you have lots of stacks you've built over the years. Maybe you've wondered how they'd translate into standard web elements that could run on an iPad or desktop Chrome browser. We now have a tool for Revolution developers that will do this.

Rodeo Transfer lets you translate and transfer Rev UI elements to the web so that they're viewable on any webkit-compliant browser like Safari or Chrome. Transfer is fast and slick.

All those who are part of the Rodeo pre-release program will get Rodeo Transfer as part of their license. Any one else can download it from our site and watch it translate Rev objects. You do need a Rodeo account to see the translated objects on the web, however.

What can it transfer?

With today's release of Rodeo v1.3, Transfer can translate stacks, cards, buttons, fields, option menus, check boxes, radio buttons, images, and best of all, data grids--into good looking standard web elements. Graphic objects are next.

How did all this happen so fast?

We had a developer's conference on Saturday, June 26th. We thought it went well, but we underestimated the powerful impact it had on others.

Within 48 hours, we were contacted by a Summit attendee who said: "I'd like to match all of the Rodeo pre-release sales to date with a donation of the same magnitude. Want me to wire it to your bank account?"

We, of course, assented to the doubling of our revenues with an assurance of anonymity on the part of the donor.

More than a large infusion of cash, we viewed this generous act as a significant vote of confidence for what we were doing and where we were going with Rodeo. So we got real inspired and added all those objects and properties along with Rodeo Transfer in two weeks.

Here's what we've learned:

1. There are thousands of the brightest people on the planet working around the clock to improve the web's capabilities with HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript. As a result we're ahead of schedule with more features than we thought possible.

2. We have been told by several users that we have underpriced our product to the point where it won't be taken seriously. That was sort of embarrassing.

3. We learned that several Rodeo users are virtually transferring their businesses to Rodeo. The response to Transfer in a mere 24 hours has been overwhelming, but the Summit really got that ball rolling.

So, we plan to have another Rodeo Summit this Saturday to go over some not-so-obvious talents that the Table object has yet to reveal--and some new features of Transfer that will make it very hard to resist.

We also want to discuss pricing options and approaches with our users at the Summit to get feedback and validation. All of it, out in the open.

The Window is Closing

This leaves open a window of opportunity for those of you reading this post who have not adopted Rodeo. You can obtain a license for $89 USD, but only for a couple more weeks.

The price of Rodeo will rise as its capabilities increase--and this will happen quicker than you may think. Rodeo Transfer will not be included in the release version of Rodeo, but become a separate, premium product with a real price tag.

But pre-release buyers will get the whole kit and caboodle for $89 USD. As we say in Tejas: "It's time to saddle up, partner."

Videos:

Rodeo Transfer: http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-transfer-rev-stacks-become-web-apps

Rodeo v1.3: http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-v13-available-with-tables-check-boxes-r

Summit Keynotes: http://rodeoapps.com/tag/keynote