File lists

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sun Jul 11 20:38:44 EDT 2010

Jacque,

For your mac os x programming pleasure:

Mac OS X identifies bundles using three ways [1]:

The Finder considers a directory to be a package if any of the following
conditions are true:

* The directory has a known filename extension: .app, .bundle, .framework,
.plugin, .kext, and so on.
* The directory has an extension that some other application claims
represents a package type; see “Document Packages.”
* The directory has its package bit set.

The preferred way to specify a package is to give the package directory a
known filename extension. For the most part, Xcode takes care of this for
you by providing templates that apply the correct extension. All you have to
do is create an Xcode project of the appropriate type.

Most bundles are also packages. For example, applications and plug-ins are
typically presented as a single file by the Finder. However, this is not
true for all bundle types. In particular, a framework is a type of bundle
that is treated as a single unit for the purposes of linking and runtime
usage, but framework directories are transparent so that developers can view
the header files and other resources they contain. " -- quoted from [1]

I know that the developer tools comes with "SetFile" which allows you to set
a directory as a bundle, maybe there's a way to checkout the package bit or
something along the lines of an hypotetical "isbundle?"

Andre
[1]
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFBundles/AboutBundles/AboutBundles.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000123i-CH100-SW1