Language learning stacks

Mark Swindell mdswindell at cruzio.com
Sun Jul 11 12:14:03 EDT 2010

I recall a linguistics professor years ago telling the story of the supercomputer translator going from English to Russian and back again.  "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" came back as "The vodka is good but the meat is rotten."  :)

No, it's not "reliable" in any absolute sense, but it is very useful once you have an adequate knowledge base in the languages you are translating to and from.  For single words it is quick and lists synonyms/approximate equivalents in various forms.  For short phrases it gets you in the ballpark with verb forms and tenses.  But to lean on it unquestioningly would be linguistic suicide, you're right.  Still, it's an invaluable tool for my current needs.

I deleted all the widgets on the iGoogle page and added in multiple copies of the translator, each set to a different translating direction (Eng/Ital., Ital/Eng, Span/Ital, Ital/Span, Eng/Span, Span/Eng).  With this setup I just open the page and can quickly cross reference words and phrases.  Some translation directions definitely work better than others.

Mark