DataGrid Stuff

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 16:30:47 EDT 2010

On 07/09/2010 10:49 PM, zryip theSlug wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> In fact the Data Grid is not a native object in Revolution.
> It's a complex group of objects with properties, events and templates to
> customize it.

This is true! You will find, if you bother to take the time to fiddle about
a bit, that a datagrid is a group containing subgroups and so on all the
way down to constituent text fields.

One of the ways to understand a datagrid is just that; a complex 'organism'
composed of primitives, which can be addressed as a whole, as a collection
of individual components, or various 'levels' in between.

This is not really conceptually anymore complicated than the way I have
designed my
Devawriter Pro Sanskrit software; the first thing I did was set out a
whole lot of
plastic cups on the sitting-room floor; some inside bowls, some in bowls
on coffee trays,
some individually, and start moving all sorts of coloured beads around
between them.

The physical extension of the object-container metaphor instantiated in
RunRev in
the form of cups and beads really can help one get one's head round the
seemingly
complex stuff.