Build settings for Mac OSX

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jul 6 12:47:44 EDT 2010

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I wouldn't mind so much if the move were to adopt the Linux file system
> (rumors that it would be the Sun file system died about a year before
> that platform did), removing one more arbitrary distinction between Mac
> and other platforms.  But I guess we'll see what the removal of creator
> codes is for somewhere down the road....

I think the rationale is explained pretty well at the link I mentioned:
<http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09/22/inside_snow_leopards_uti_apple_fixes_the_creator_code.html>

Apparently they were running out of creator code combinations, and it
was too limited to support some of the more advanced file management
Apple wants to implement:

"However, Apple didn't schedule a deprecation of Creator Codes just for
fun, or just to be lazy, or just to fit in with lowest common
denominator operating systems. Type and Creator Codes simply weren't
good enough to support new OS features Apple had on the drawing board.
Rather than trying to get by with doing less, Apple was set on doing
more, and Creator Codes weren't up to the task."

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com