iPadding around?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 29 00:02:16 EST 2010

Colin Holgate wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2010, at 10:08 AM, Richard Gaskin
> <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Regardless of the opportunities or lack thereof one may see with the
>> world's fastest-growing OS
>
> Here's a good point, RunRev should put effort into OSes based on how
> fast they are growing. For example:
>
> Linux grew from zero to >30 million in 19 years.
>
> iPhone OS grew from zero to 75 million in 3 years.

By that criteria, with it's paltry 8.7% market share after more than 20
years of trying I guess we should ask RunRev to drop support for Mac OS. ;)

Fortunately, Rev doesn't seem willing to cut back on any of the OSes
they're shipping for, and I've seen nothing to suggest they're not being
honest with me when they say they can add iPhone to the mix while
keeping their desktop lineup.

The only OS I'm concerned about is the one not already in queue with RunRev:

   Global forecast puts Android ahead of iPhone,
   BlackBerry, Windows Mobile

<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139026/Android_to_grab_No._2_spot_by_2012_says_Gartner>

One of the things that makes Android interesting is that it's not a
single phone, nor even a single vendor, but a wide range of devices and
partnerships in which a great many players can pool their resources, and
in which developers can enjoy unfettered distribution among all of them.

Don't get me wrong: as an Apple customer, developer, and shareholder for
many years I like it when they do well.  But I enjoy the breadth of what
the industry has to offer, and I find new things to learn with every OS
that finds its way into my shop.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World