DataGrid DragDrop vs DragMove

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Jan 28 19:37:55 EST 2010

Part of why it's a bit tricky to wrap your brain around datagrids, at least initially, is because their internal workings are not immediately obvious, and so we don't "see" why the code we use to work with them does what it does.

A normal Revolution object is just an object with certain properties that can accept certain events from the rev engine. Their default behaviors (like accepting text or mouse clicks) are predefined in the IDE. Data Grids however, are GROUPS of those normal rev objects, with behaviors and scripts running "behind the scenes". Some of the datagrid objects are hidden away, because they are used only to make clones to display the actual data, and it's really the clones you are working with, not the original objects themselves.

Data grids are several orders of magnitude more complicated than a "simple" rev object, and understanding what they are and a bit about how they operate internally is key to being able to work with them efficiently. All that to say, don't be too hard on yourself if they seem complex. They are. But anyone doing tables is overjoyed to have them, because writing a table object yourself in the old rev was enough to make you give up.

Bob