parental control problems - Mac OS X

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 15:34:01 EST 2010

On 28/01/2010 22:09, Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, Chris Sheffield wrote:
>

>> I'm wondering if anyone has run into this problem and, if so, what the
>> possible fix would be. We have several customers (schools) reporting a problem
>> with our Rev-built application when trying to implement parental controls on
>> managed student accounts. Here's what's happening. When installing the
>> application under an admin account (we're using a Vise X installer) everything
>> appears to work as expected. The admin can launch the app and everything works
>> fine. Then the admin grants access to our app, via parental controls, to the
>> managed student account. After logging in with the student account, attempting
>> to launch the app results in the infamous bouncing icon in the dock but then
>> the app shuts down problem. What's even stranger, though, is that after
>> attempting this and then logging back in with the admin account and attempting
>> to run the app again, it doesn't work for the admin anymore. So it's like by
>> attempting to run the app with a managed account, it is breaking something
>> system wide. The only recourse at that point is to uninstall and reinstall.

Donkey's years ago (well, about 7) at the University of St Andrews we
were running a
netboot from an image saved on a server with all the settings,
limitations, etc. in place.

All the programs we wanted students to have access were on the image and
"at bedtime"
everything got cleared away. The reason for this was that we had a lot
of students from
the Far-East who used to covertly install various Chinese/Japanese chat
systems so they
could post home to Mum on the sly when they were meant to be working on
their
English Grammar - as policing them constantly was both a bother and
rather humiliating
for both lab-techs and students, any software installed by students was
simply flushed
away at the end of a boot-session. Of course we could have so crippled
the netboot image
that nothing whatsoever could be installed.

At that time we were running 2 RunRev standalones (admittedly authored
on 2.0.1 not 4.0.0)
that were wrapped up inside the netboot image, and we never had any
problems with them at all.

The netboot image had NO admin account as it had been set up with a
crippled account and activated
root user which, once the image was set up, was deactivated.