Linux deployment . . .

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 14:49:30 EST 2010

Well, I don't share Richard's admiration for either Gnome or Ubuntu -
especially not for Ubuntu.  And not for Gnome in its increasing incarnation
of the school of taking out all the useful functionality in order to make it
easier to use.   But the question is, if you think it is taking excessive
work to deliver Rev in a distribution agnostic way, what work is that
exactly?  If you think it should only run on Ubuntu, what exactly would be
done differently?

I think you would have to do stuff deliberately to make it not run on all
distros.  What applications can you think of that are distribution specific
and will not run on others than the chosen one?  Every app I have ever run
has worked pretty much the same on any distro I've been using, and we are
talking lots - Mandriva in most releases, Slitaz, DSL, Slackware and its
derivatives including Zenwalk, Slax.  Early versions of Red Hat, late
versions of Fedora.  Suse, in early and mid versions.

The thing you need to watch out for is fonts, and window managers/ desktops.
But every other application for Linux manages this, its a matter of doing
things by the book.  I run Gnome and KDE apps from Fluxbox or OpenBox, it is
just not an issue.

People talk about Linux proliferating distros.  Yes, it has.  But from the
point of view of applications that are not integrated into the repositories,
like Rev, that is just irrelevant.

The issue for Rev is, does it want to be a professional developer's tool on
Linux, or does it want to be a hobbyist or amateur's tool, on account of the
compromises using it on Linux requires.  That's the choice, and you can't
evade it.

Discussion of which distros to support is a complete distraction.  Its not
the issue.