Linux deployment . . .

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 14:26:45 EST 2010

I see no evidence that, for Rev as presently distributed, supporting multiple
distros is even a small part of the problem.  The problem is not that rev
Browser fails to work on Slitaz.  It is that it doesn't exist.  The problem
with revPrintField is common to all distros that I have tried.  The failure
of multiple desktops to work is common to all desktops and distros.

In fact, distros differ rather little at the level of Rev.  Rev does not use
an installer.  You decompress and run.  Put the uncompressed folder wherever
you want.  So its immaterial how menus work differently.  I've never found
Rev to fail to work, or work differently, on any distro I've tried,
including DSL and Slitaz.

I think it quite understandable that Rev might drop Linux in favor of
mobile.  That would be fine and if its commercially sensible, by all means,
people like me will move to Python, and there are probably no professional
Linux developers using it full time anyway.

What is not understandable is to have three platforms, nominally, but not to
support one of them at a level where you have a viable professional
platform.  That makes no sense.