[OT] Australian internet blackout

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Thu Jan 28 11:58:12 EST 2010

answer below René's post...
Le 28 janv. 2010 à 17:20, René Micout a écrit :

> Francois,
> I do not think the Hadopi law is comparable to what is happening in Australia (if I understand my English being what it is ...).
> In Australia, it seems that the government wants to censor access to some sites to protect children (?!), in France, the government would allow the possibility of suspending the internet subscription in case of illegal downloads (after several warnings ...)
> Am I mistaken?
> René
>
> En français (c'est plus facile) :
> Cher François,
> Je ne pense pas que la loi Hadopi soit comparable à ce qui se passe en Australie (si toutefois j'ai bien compris, mon anglais étant ce qu'il est...).
> En Australie, il semblerait que le gouvernement veuille censurer l'accès de certains sites pour protéger les enfants (?!), en France, le gouvernement voudrait permettre la possibilité de suspendre l'abonnement à internet en cas de téléchargements illégaux (après plusieurs avertissements...)
> Me trompe-je ?
> René

Non, tu as raison...

in english now:
I think the important point is that the sprit of the human rights declaration (and hence of the constitution) is that the right to access information can be extended in its application to the access of the internet.
A side effect is that a deprivation of these human rights (such as being imprisoned) requires an action by justice.
In the case of children, they are not full right citizens; however, their rights have been declared at the UN some time ago, and, the management of these rights( i.e. parental responsibility) are probably written in the australian law. There is a wikipedia article on this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_on_the_Rights_of_the_Child
In France, deprivation of rights of minors imply, if i am right (no pun), a decision by a judge for children.

To boil it down, international treaties give adults and children some rights, and depriving them of these rights should require at least a decision of justice with contradictory debate.