iPadding around?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 11:07:53 EST 2010

On 28/01/2010 17:38, Lynn Fredricks wrote:
>> Fortunately, given how far along the Rev Linux engine is, it
>> doesn't seem it'll come to that.
>>
>> Regardless of the opportunities or lack thereof one may see
>> with the world's fastest-growing OS, Rev is already so close
>> to having a really good engine for Linux that it would cost
>> them much more to abandon it than simply finish it.

A lot of people are becoming disenchanted with Windows
and the "Joy of Viruses" (NOT written by Dr Alex Comfort); and
with the advent of Open Office 3, mature versions of GIMP and
Inkscape reasons for sticking with Windows look increasingly
less tenable.

One of the HUGE advantages of RunRev is that by deploying
multi-platform standalones that (should) function almost
identically people do not have to feel either hampered by
a single-platform application, nor bullied into adopting an
OS they don't like.

We all know that Linux used to be used by "geeky wierdos"
a few years back (about 10); but with the advent of visual
installers and so on installing most variants is no more
difficult than installing Mac OS X or Windows. The GNU,
KDE and XFCE windows managers have convergent
WIMP interfaces that closely resemble those fixed on
Mac OS and Win.

2 slightly tedious personal anecdotes follow.

In a fit of foolishness I recently bought my younger son
a Nokia mobile phone with Bluetooth. He wished to transfer
some music from a CD he owns onto his phone.

The only way this was possible was via Windows.

Not Good At All.

An architect friend of mine estimated that he spent about
$500 a year in trips to the PC shop to have his machine
running Windows XP "defrosted" and so forth every year.
Got extremely cheesed-off by freezing screens, data
vanishing into the great beyond, and silly anti-virus
messages being continually flashed up in the bottom
right-hand corner of his screen.

I backed up his files and put Xubuntu on his machine
along with WINE to cope with a fancy CAD program he
uses.

No crashes, no viruses and no silly trips to the PC shop!

Machine runs faster as well.