The seconds and time zones

zryip theSlug zryip.theslug at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 16:44:51 EST 2010

2010/1/26 Bill Vlahos <bvlahos at mac.com>:
> I want to represent time snapshot independently of format and time zone so that I can compare the modification times of two items. The "seconds" looks like the way to go but I thought that it would get thrown off depending upon which time zone the computer was in.
>
> I just saw this in the Rev dictionary:
> Note: The convert command assumes all dates / times are in local time except for 'the seconds', which is taken to be universal time.
>
> Does this mean that if I "get the seconds" simultaneously anywhere in the world it will result in the same number or would I have to account for the time zone offset. This definition makes it sound like it already takes into account the time zone offset.

I'm late with that but here is my experience with dates and times.

In a compagny when you have a client/server application, never use the
date and time of a user's computer, in case of you have to store a
date in a bill or a time in a log, for example. The settings of each
computer has always different. Be confident in the server only.

So if it is already difficult to manage time in the same country, in a
same firm, it could be result to a real nightmare to manage time for
differents users all over the world.

I think the best is to trust an outside server which always give you
the same time for everyone. Webservices for example allow you to
retrive back the universal time.

--
-Zryip TheSlug- wish you the best! 8)
http://www.aslugontheroad.co.cc