Looking for volunteers to create Wikipedia on CD application

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 06:06:27 EST 2010

2010/1/27 Alejandro Tejada <capellan2000 at gmail.com>

David Bovill-3 wrote:

> > I use it to move articles around between MediaWikis and
> > provide additional tools that MediaWiki does not have.
> >

> According to your description, this code looks like
> the startpoint for a commercial application for
> wiki administrators. ;-)

Yes - I thought of that though more in the line of a very good way of
getting the revWeb Plugin used by lots of people.

> David, Could you create code that:
>
> Verify (for a user selected list of articles) if offline XML Wikitext is
> not identical to online XML Wikitext, then download news XMLs,
> compress them as gzip and save a file to a folder in writable media?

Yes - I think all of that is pretty much there. The only question would be
 the format of the XML. I mainly use the wikitext format, so I'd have to get
my head around how you / the project want it packaged.

A more advanced version could just store a diff between these
> two XML Wikitext.

Yes - I use git for that to store a versioned file system locally, and allow
sharing between users horizontally.

> Your code could work as a "deliberately slow" mechanism to update
> Wikis XML databases.

 Yes - though I see a greater use in creating forks of WikiPedia for
specific uses (teaching for instance).

Notice that Wikipedia have warned against creating applications that
> download too many pages in a short time frame.
>
> Many thanks for offering your help for this project!

Happy to work on it / contribute what I can.