Minimize Excessive Player Processor Use?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Jan 25 18:10:18 EST 2010

Recently, Colin Holgate wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2010, at 3:56 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
>
>> Is there any disadvantage to having
>> a high qtIdleRate value when the only files played by the player will be
>> audio files?
>

> You might want to do something else, say a repeat while the mousedown, and see
> (or hear) if the sound dries up with different idle settings.

Well, here's one finding...

It appears that MP3/4 audio files encoded at a "high" rate (ie 256 kbps)
require a semi-frequent qtIdleRate.  After testing several AAC files, I was
able to get 256 kbps tracks to play with a qtIdleRate of 250 -- any rate
longer than this caused large gaps in the playback.

I will do some more testing but it seems that audio files encoded at "low"
rates -- 128 kbps and lower -- can play fine with a long qtIdleRate
interval.

Still working on that balance between performance and bogging down the
user's system like molasses in winter...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design