Getting user's time from web revlet?

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 20 21:26:53 EST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 6:04 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> As far as I know, the JavaScript Date object gives the browser's
> date & time.
> Here is a routine I have to showing a time stamp:

The original issue is that the browser does not send its system date
and time to the server so that a sever-side script can use it.

Your example is how to tell the browser to grab the time and date info
available to it and display it for the single user.

If the javascript were to update a cookie record in the spot available
for a Revlet or a web page script that gets and sets cookies, then
that info would be available for harvesting.

The other two solutions mentioned were to ask the user to press a
button to send that data, and the sneaky AJAX  approach which means
you trigger a script without the user interacting to send the data
back to the same server or another or several of them.  ( of course,
no one uses computers to extract info like that )

Jim Ault
Las Vegas