Geometry manager

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jan 20 20:15:35 EST 2010

Robert Brenstein wrote:
> On 20.01.10 at 18:01 -0600 J. Landman Gay apparently wrote:
>> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>>> Look at the bright side:  with that many objects you'd get RSI from
>>> using a point-and-click solution anyway. ;)
>>
>> I just added them up and it isn't as bad as I thought. It's only 943.
>>

> I would second what Richard wrote. With that many objects, there must be
> patterns so only a few central scripts are probably needed. In some
> projects, I used naming scheme to handle this. In others, I used custom
> properties in each object. Sometimes grouping comes in play, as Mark
> suggests.

There is a main stack with three (all different) cards, and 17 one-card
substacks. Two of the substacks are very similar, each with 110
controls. I can share those two scripts. The rest of the stacks are each
a separate template that displays data in different layouts. Those all
have to be resized individually. I've eliminated six substacks, such as
the preferences substack, which can be enlarged just once during
development and remain static. But the 943 count doesn't include those
stacks.

The complaint came in after Windows 7 was released, and some new
machines are apparently now shipping with monitors set to 1920 x 1080
default resolution. The existing stacks are about half that size, which
used to be fine but now are too small to read. It's legacy stuff that
wasn't an issue before but it really does need to be changed.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com