Normal video DVD's with Rev applications on them?

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:56:43 EST 2010

2010/1/19 chris livermore <contact at kipmedia.com>

> Not so much a compatibility problem but a delivery issue. I used to churn
> out the cd-rom apps with video (which is similar to what you're describing),
> years ago, now my clients request web delivery.

Yes - I've made CD-ROM apps like this - and yes they were mainly "coasters"
:)

> I've found there's no such thing as 'plain ol dvd players'. Many PCs still
> don't have them, if they do they sometimes don't have the grunt to run them.
> Then you have Win Media player auto opening some movie files at times.
>
> If you are going to play DVD movies (i think this is what you're
> suggesting) and have a separate rev app, then I'd say no-one will see your
> app. The movie will play and the app is forgotten. You need to run the
> movies from within the app, so you have one interface delivering all
> components. Even then many of my cd-rom and dvd products have made great
> coasters ;-)

For this to work

   1. the DVD must work without any problems as a normal DVD in DVD rental
   and sales outlets without it not playing on some machines because it also
   has a Rev app on it.
   2. when played on a a good laptop or PC a motivated user should be able
   to launch the Rev app by reading the instructions on the DVD cover

Auto-boot: problematic. On a Mac a DVD movie will open in DVD Player, on a
> PC win media player usually open the dvd and people have problems. VLC is
> better on PCs but there are other options.
> The rev app can autostart on a PC but you may have problems doing the same
> on a mac.

Ideally it would auto-boot to the Rev app on a PC and not the DVD player -
though this seems like it would be a mess. So - I think it would be OK if
the DVD player launched and you would have to quit that before looking for
the Rev app on the DVD.

> I've seen a few of these type of media around but, in my experience, if
> it's not simple it won't work.

Tricky is OK - as it would be a competition / game with a prize. The main
thing is not to muck up the basic DVD functionality.

> hope this helps, lots more info on this topic

Yes - thanks. Any links / references would be useful. My main nightmare
would be to pitch this and get the client to print loads of DVD's which
would not play in some consumer DVD players.