Rev on kde

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 19 06:13:11 EST 2010

"My main 'grunt' about RunRev on Linux has nothing to do with RunRev at
all: it is virtually impossible to install your own fonts in a place that
RunRev
will recognise them."

That too.  Also virtual desktops don't work, revBrowser not available,
revPrintField doesn't work, no player for Linux, lots of the functionality
seems to be increasingly provided by add-ins from the group which work only
on Windows or Mac.  As for instance tRev.  Which is understandable, and
their choice, but in that case the core team needs to offer some way of
getting to feature parity if not identity - like, for instance, Geany or
Gedit plugins, or even Eclipse plugins.

The problem is, if doing it at all, it should be done right.  Otherwise you
get the worst of all possible worlds.  I'm not a professional Linux
developer, but if I were, would have moved to (or never left) Python.
Python has many different disadvantages, but using Python on Linux you are
an equal citizen in a less desirable country, rather than being a second
class citizen in a more desirable one.  So the result of the present
situation if continued is that Rev ends up with the amateurs, like us,
because we are less demanding, we like the people and the environment, and
are prepared to compensate for its lacks by writing shell scripts in antique
languages.  Like, I do my reporting in Awk, and the users put up with
something that looks like it came out of 1995.  The info is there, but its a
bit antique, but its fine for us.  It would not be if I were making a full
time living from it.

What Rev needs to do is get Linux up to full parity.  Its the last 15% that
needs doing.  It can't make any sense to restrict the market to people like
us, but that's the effect of what's happening.  Till its done this, all
other platforms have to go.  The price of a few things well is refusing to
do a lot badly.